House Plants and Kittens

The state of my desk today.
I have to confess that since I moved to London two years ago, I haven't had the best track record looking after my plants. I lost sight of the regular watering and so only remembered when they started to wilt and (tragically) began to die. I'm not proud of myself. I've had quite a few accidental victims of my neglect; dracaena, elephant ear plant, fern, ivy, tomato... and a few others.

Since quarantine, I made the decision to actively take better care of all living organisms living in this household; regular tending and watering has become part of my daily routine, and the plants are looking much happier... basically just more alive. Each plant needs varying amounts of water and light, so with a little investigation, I now feel I'm starting to understand each individual's needs better. So, hopefully, soon they'll (an I'll) be thriving...

Plant list

Bedroom:
Aloe Vera [light watering / warmth / bright light]
Calathea [regular wathering / medium light / humidity]
Lucky Bamboo [kept in water]
Parlour Palm [frequent watering / medium light / humidity]
Peace Lily [light watering / medium light / humidity]
Snake Plant [light watering / medium light / feeding]
Succulent [light watering / bright light / warmth]

Living Room:
Calathea [regular wathering / medium light / humidity]
Corn Plant [light watering / medium light / humidity]
2 x Succulent [light watering / bright light / warmth]

Kitchen:
16 x Broad Bean Seedlings [keep soil moist]
2 x Avocado Seeds [keep half submerged in water]
3 x Cactus [light watering / bright light / feeding]
3 x Succulents [light watering / bright light / warmth]
2 x (not sure what they are) [try to work this out as they don't look the healthiest]

Garden:
Chives [regular watering]
Grass [occasional mowing]
Parsley [regular watering]

I have big plans for the garden! I've always been in slight awe of my Dad's ability to grow the most amazing vegetables and have convince myself that it's a certainty I have inherited his magic skills (although this is yet to be proven). Starting (small?) with the broadbean babies cultivating in the kitchen. Next on the list; sunflowers, tomatoes, and as soon as I get the money, a hammock and big shady umbrella. 
 
Dora in the garden.
My housemates and I are lucky to have garden in London. It seems quite rare, and we have hugely appreciated the reading/sunbathing-sessions and alfresco lunches in the sun the past few days. Being outside clears my head, and lifts my moodiness, and now that freedom has been taken away, I'm missing that nature-boost more than ever. 

The most isolated spot in Greenwich Park I could find.
Yesterday, I decided to go on a solitary walk around Greenwich park. Thinking I'll keep a respectable distance from others, and maybe find a lonely tree, to read my book underneath for a short period of time. I found a suitable (isolated) tree trunk, and just after I sat down, a policeman came over and kindly said "time to go home hon. We're trying to encourage people not to hang around." So I apologised, and instead walked the long way home. No one seems to bother you if you walk with the appearance of purpose it seems.


**********


Camilla
For a while now, I've been making friends with the three cats that hang around our street. Two all-white ones we've named Diana and Camilla (because they are glamorous, but show little interest in our attempts at affection), and a scrappy black and white one my previous housemate Molly named Sally-Ann (my favourite, but she does not like to be picked up I recently found out). They hop into our garden or living room window, as they please, and we occasionally feed them 'dreamies' in the hope that they'll stay a little longer and decide they love us.

I've been thinking over the past few months, that having a cat would be an ideal fluffy companion. A dependant (yet slightly independant) being, helping me with routine, in return for occasionally sitting on my lap when I'm feeling lonely in the evenings (something my plants will never be able to do). In January, I visited the Battersea rescue centre three times, and registered my interest. But since quarantine, all the rescue centres have had to temporarily close, and the dreams of rescuing an abandoned cat had to be post-poned... heart broken!

Since quarantine, I have become obsessed by the thought of getting a cat and having something to love, and so, decided to pursue other avenues in the hope of finding one. The other rescue centres were all unsurpisingly closed, which left me with kitten breeders posting on 'Pets4Homes' and 'Gumtree'. It appeared however, that the entirety of London had the same thought. Every enquiry I sent was met with "sorry all gone" or worse, no reply at all.


LOVELY KITTENS (SOLD) [might I add, within 1 hour.]
Bromley, London £150

Louis
Posting for 7+ years

I have my 3 Adorable kittens for sale. They were born on 31st January so are ready to go to their new loving homes. They are very playful and loving to be around with.I hope they bring you some joy in this challenging period.£150 each.


After days of relentless rejection, last night saw a newly posted ad and I had a breakthrough!



George
Hi there, my name's George and I live in SE London and have been looking to get a cat over the past year. I live on a quiet street and have a garden. I'm wondering if I could reserve one of these little guys? I hope I'm not too late. I know it's a bit of a wierd time with the quarantine. Best wishes!

Tel
Hi yes there still currently available, which kitten was you interested in? Thanks x

George
Ooh yay! Fantastic news! The tabby is so gorgeous if I had to pick, but I'd be happy with any if not. Any ideas on the gender?


Tel
I know I have a female black and white and a male black and white, male might have a home now though, but the tabby I am unsure on the sex of him/her yet until I have a second opinion. So depending if you have a preference on male or female the tabby is still available atm. Xx

...


Tel
😊 the tabby is the brute out of them the biggest bless it, beautiful markings, yes there currently almost 4 weeks old so between 6-8 weeks old theyl be ready aslong as eating well and litter trained itl be ready for it's new home then. Just get the little essentials ul need together altho with the lockdown atm you might have to wait until nearer the time to get bits ay. Do you drive? X

...


I've been taught to be wary of such online transactions, so will obviously wait the four weeks and see what happens. I've been frantically reading all the advice I can find, as to finding any red flags, knowing what to look for etc. I'm trying not to be worried by the seeming nonchalance (and typos) of Tel, the breeder.

Obviously the kitten is disgustingly cute, and I'm thrilled by the idea that in four weeks I will bring a kitten home with me, in time for my thirtieth birthday. For now, it's something to look forward to.

Comments